Monday, November 16, 2009

Psalm 9: 1-4

Text
I will celebrate thee, O guide, with my whole heart. I will show forth all thy marvelous works! I will be glad and rejoice in thee. I will sing and celebrate to thy name, O thou most high. When mine enemy thoughts are turned back, they shall fall and perish at thy presence. For thou hast maintained my right and my cause, thou dost sit in thy throne judging right.

Text Notes
  • The King James Inclusive Version, K-JIV, has "celebrate" where the KJV1611 translates "praise". Both English words are part of the broad sense of the original.
  • In these Psalms for Meditation, "enemies" are understood as "enemy thoughts".

Reflection
To celebrate for the sheer joy of it! The Psalmist captures the flavor of the spirit I feel when we gather in Meeting for Worship. It is good to be glad and rejoice. The inward guide "judges right" and those self-serving enemy thoughts can be vanquished! They "fall and perish at thy presence". And so celebration leads to a life lived intentionally.

No comments:

Post a Comment