Sunday, November 1, 2009

Pslam 7: 1-8

Text
O guide my divinity, in thee do I put my trust, make me whole from all those who persecute me, and deliver me. Lest they tear my soul like a lion, rending it in pieces, while there is none to deliver. O guide my divinity, if I have done this, if there be iniquity in my hands, if I have rewarded evil unto one who was at peace with me (yea, I have delivered a person who without cause is mine enemy), then shall the enemy within persecute my soul, and take it! Yea, it shall tread down my life upon the earth, and lay mine honor in the dust. Selah. Arise, O guide, in all this anger, lift up thyself from amidst the rage of my struggles. And awake for me to the judgement that thou hast commanded. So shall the gathering of the people encompass thee about, for their sakes therefore return thou on high. The divine center shall judge within people. Judge me, O my guide, according to my rightness, and according to mine integrity that is in me.

Text Notes
  • The word "within" is added twice in the passage above, as elsewhere in the Psalms for Meditation, to clarify the nature of the internal struggle.
  • Thus "enemy within" as well as "judge within" (specifying the location of judgment).
  • Where the 1611KJV has "thine anger", the K-JIV is less anthropomorphic with "all this anger".

Reflection
Real righteousness ('rightness') is not tribalistic, not used to demean others. Too often my sense of offended justice focuses on the faults of someone else. Rather than only rage at perceived injustice, I need the judgment of this divine center within. In that way I can learn to act from my own integrity!

No comments:

Post a Comment