Saturday, November 21, 2009

Psalm 9: 11-16

Text
I sing praises to thee, which dwelleth in Zion and declare among the people thy doings. When inquisition is made for blood, thou rememberest them, thou forgettest not the cry of the humble. May I enter into mercy, O consider my trouble which I suffer from thoughts of hate. Thou liftest me up from the gates of death, that I may show forth all thy celebration in the gates of the daughter of Zion. I will rejoice in thy wholeness. My heathen thoughts are sunk down in the pit that they made, in the net which they hid is their own foot taken. Thou art known by the justice which thou executeth: the wicked are snared in the work of their own hands.

Text Notes
  • Psalms for Meditation again makes abstract, thus internal, the sense in another phrase. In this case it is "thoughts of hate" rather than "them that hate me".
  • And, the fullest meaning of the original is captured in the word "wholeness" rather than "salvation" as in KJV1611.

Reflection
Any form of religion that fosters hatred of 'the other' is a death-oriented faith. A genuine inward sense of God is that which lifts me up from death. Much of what passes for fundamental faith seems to be mere tribalism. Real salvation is "wholeness", an inclusive embrace of life as it really is. Our Guide will lead us into justice and deliverance.

No comments:

Post a Comment