Friday, October 30, 2009

Psalm 6: 6-10

Text
I am weary with my groaning, all the night I make my bed to swim, I water my couch with my tears. Mine eye is consumed because of grief, it waxeth old because of all mine enemies within. Depart from me all you works of iniquity, for the guide hath heard the voice of my weeping. The guide hath heard my supplication, Love will receive my prayer. Let all these enemy thoughts be ashamed and sore vexed, let them return and be ashamed suddenly.

Text Notes
  • The phrase "enemies within" makes explicit that, in personal meditation, our primary enemies are within us.
  • "Love" is used occasionally as a translation of YHWH in Psalms for Meditation. This is at least as accurate as using an Anglo-Saxon title of nobility ("Lord").

Reflection
In my experience, the normal struggles of life have been made much worse by fundamentalist religion. When religion falsely amplifies feelings of guilit or anger, then it is destructive and punishing. Allowing all of this simply to "depart" (as in the text above) is the best solution. True religion and true prayer are a joy! Enemy thoughts return whence they came and I am free to live in Love's presence.

No comments:

Post a Comment