Saturday, October 10, 2009

Psalm 1: 3-4

Text
And they shall be like a tree planted by the rivers of water, that bringeth forth its fruit in its season. Its leaf also shall not wither and whatsoever they do shall prosper. The unloving are not so, but are like the chaff which the wind driveth away.

Text Note
  • Inherent in the inclusive method of translation is the use of plural pronouns when appropriate. So, in the Psalms for Meditation, "they" is often used rather than "he" as in the 1611 KJV. This common English convention is frequent throughout the K-JIV. Ironically, it is often true that the Hebrew does not use a gender specific pronoun. The same is true of the Greek NT as well.

Reflection
Though I've transitioned from conservative evangelical/anabaptist (mouthful!) to unprogrammed Friend, I feel the same rootedness in the spirit. I feel the blessing of being planted by rivers of water. I've left behind a lot of my strident doctrinal positions, but I appreciate the ongoing sense of stability that trust in Love provides. Without that Love as guide, my modern life becomes so superficial that I really am as chaff driven by wind: empty and all over the place!

No comments:

Post a Comment