Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Psalm 2: 4-6

Text
Dost thou sit in the heavens and laugh and hold them in derision? Dost thou speak unto them in wrath and vex them in sore displeasure? Thou hast set thy leader upon thine holy hill of Zion!

Text Notes
  • Verses 4 and 5 are questions in Psalms for Meditation rather than statements as in the 1611KJV. In the original language texts of scripture, there was no punctuation. Context dictates whether we render as question or statement. See more in the reflection below.

Reflection
What I used to understand as statements, I find myself now engaging as questions. How do I listen to the inward guide? Do I anthropomorphize my concept of divinity? In this second Psalm, good questions are asked about the nature of anger and its role in human life. And, then the answer: there is a leader "upon thine holy hill of Zion". There, in the sacred place, is real guidance.

No comments:

Post a Comment