Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Psalm 2: 7-9

Text
I will declare the decree: Thou hast said unto me, Thou art my child, this day have I begotten thee. Ask of me and I shall give thee the nations for thine inheritance and the uttermost parts of the earth for thy possession. They are broken with a rod of iron. They are dashed in pieces like a potter's vessel.

Text Notes
  • Because these are inclusive psalms for meditation,"son" in the 1611KJV is "child" in the K-JIV. The Hebrew word is often used generically.
  • The word "nations" is elsewhere "heathen". Here the context is global in scope.

Reflection
The images of this passage cover the gamut! From personal family relationship to global inheritance to the brokenness we see in the world! And the world often looks that way to me: broken and in pieces. Do we want to "inherit" a globe like this, even if we are meek? How do I grapple with all this? For me, having a sense of community, of spiritual family, is a wonderful place: a place to work from, in small ways, to address the larger world's struggles.

No comments:

Post a Comment