Monday, October 26, 2009

Psalm 5: 4-7

Text
For thou art not divinity that hath pleasure in wickedness. Neither shall evil dwell with thee. Foolishness shall not stand in they sight. Thou hatest all works of iniquity. They destroy themselves who speak lies. Thou wilt abhor the bloody and deceitful work. But as for me, I will come into thy house in the multitude of thy mercy, and in thy awe will I celebrate toward thy holy temple.

Text Notes
  • The K-JIV used in the Psalms for Meditation often renders the 1611KJV's discrete nouns as abstract. Thus, "wickedness" rather than "wicked" persons. In meditation, it is the internal struggle that is contextually significant.
  • As noted earlier, to worship is to celebrate.

Reflection
I cannot respect myself if I engage in 'evil', destructive behavior. There is no place in divinity for wickedness. To lie is to destroy oneself! There is an abhorrence in our divine center of the two traits named by the Psalmist: bloodshed and deceit. Rather, in meditation, I enter God's House, the realm of the spirit. I partake of awe and mercy. And, finally, celebration!

No comments:

Post a Comment