Thursday, October 29, 2009

Psalm 6: 1-5

Text
Dost thou rebuke me in anger? Or chasten me in hot displeasure? Thou hast mercy upon me even when I am weak. O guide, heal me for my bones are vexed. My soul is also sore vexed, but thou, O guide, how long? Return thou, deliver my soul, oh make me whole for thy mercies' sake. For in death there is no remembrance of thee, in the grave who shall give thee thanks?

Text Notes
  • Here again is another example of how, in the Psalms for Meditation, context determines whether a sentence is a question or a statement.
  • Thus the first verse above consists of two questions which are then answered in the next line: "Thou hast mercy..."

Reflection
I join with the Psalmist in questions about anger. And, I join in the affirmation of mercy as well! Often the cause of my outward affliction is my inward turmoil. That is, my bones are "vexed" because my soul seems "sore vexed"! But, life feels very full and rich when I am "whole", in right relationship with the light and with others.

No comments:

Post a Comment