Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Psalm 4: 1-5

Text
Hear me when I call, O divinity of my rightness. Thou hast enlarged me when I was in distress. May I enter into mercy; and hear my prayer. And you, fellow children of humanity, how long will you turn my glory into shame? How long will you love vanity and seek after falsehood? Selah. But know that this Presence hath set apart the one who is loving. Thou wilt hear when I call unto thee. Stand in awe and be not self-centered. Commune with your own heart upon your bed and be still. Selah. Offer the sacrifices of rightness and put your trust in the guide.

Text Notes
  • The word translated "Presence" in this context is usually "Guide" in Psalms for Meditation.
  • The K-JIV "Self-centered" is translated "sin" in the 1611KJV. The broad sense of the Hebrew word is: to miss.

Reflection
I love the Psalmist's language: "Thou has enlarged me". That's exactly it: my capacity to engage life needs to be enlarged! Even as some dwell on the superficial, may I live in the Presence as one who is loving. Indeed, I would "stand in awe" and learn to commune with my own heart AND become "still": a good definition of the process of meditation.

No comments:

Post a Comment