Thursday, October 22, 2009

Psalm 4: 6-8

Text
There are many who say, Who will show us any good? O guide, lift thou up the light of thy countenance upon us! Thou hast put gladness in my heart more than in the time that their grain and their wine increased. I will both lay me down in peace and sleep, for thou only makest me dwell in safety.

Text Notes
  • This text is a good illustration of basic fidelity to the text of 1611 wherever possible in Psalms for Meditation. Aside from a modest update of an archaic verbal form and the usual translation of YHWH by "guide", the K-JIV text remains very close to the KJV.

Reflection
It would be easy for me to echo the question above: "Who will show us any good?" Fundamentalist religion feeds our war mentality. Greed masquerades as the free market. But, the light of love's countenance puts "gladness in my heart". And this deep rooted sense of gladness is not a shallow euphoria. It is something more than even when "their wine increased". For me, it is an experience of peace and safety as a place to "dwell"...and from which, to live.

No comments:

Post a Comment