Friday, October 16, 2009

Psalm 3: 1-4

Text
How are they increased who trouble me! Many are those who rise up against me. Many there be who say of my soul, There is no help in divinity. Selah. But thou, O guide, art a shield for me, my glory and the lifter up of my head. I cried unto thee with my voice and thou didst hear me out of thy holy hill. Selah.

Text Notes
  • Because these are psalms for meditation, the Hebrew word Elohim, usually "God" in the KJV, is translated in a way that captures the fullest possible sense of the word. Plural in etymology, but often rendered by the singular, Elohim has a broader semantic range than is usually conveyed by the English word "God". Most often, in the K-JIV, the best translation is "divinity".

Reflection
What is the nature of God's help for me? Too often both we and those whom we see as enemies misunderstand the essence of divine help. Is there help in divinity? Yes! Our guide is, indeed, a "shield" and a "lifter up of my head". There is profound inward strength available in the divine center. There is no guarantee of not suffering in this world, but I have learned to be open to divine power within my spirit. And this power of Love lifts me in wonderful ways.

No comments:

Post a Comment